Manage episode 341906353 series 3344575
Maria Konnikova (@mkonnikova) shows us how we can defend ourselves against would-be con artists and use the same principles for more benign purposes in her book The Confidence Game. [Note: This is a previously broadcast episode from the vault that we felt deserved a fresh pass through your earholes!]
What We Discuss with Maria Konnikova:
- As it turns out, you can fool an honest man. But cynics — by their own overconfidence in being savvy and “scamproof” — are just as susceptible to deception.
- Technology and the abundance of information most of us freely surrender to the Internet makes the con artist’s job easier than ever before.
- What type of person becomes a con artist?
- How can we avoid getting scammed?
- How belief works, why we over-believe in some things (even when we have no evidence for them), and how this plays into our susceptibility to deception.
- And much more...
Full show notes and resources can be found here: jordanharbinger.com/728
Sign up for Six-Minute Networking -- our free networking and relationship development mini course -- at jordanharbinger.com/course!
Miss the two-parter we did with Instagram founder Kevin Systrom? Get caught up by starting at episode 335: Kevin Systrom | Life Lessons from an Instagram Founder Part One!
Like this show? Please leave us a review here -- even one sentence helps! Consider including your Twitter handle so we can thank you personally!