The NoDegree Podcast – No Degree Success Stories for Job Searching, Careers, and Entrepreneurship
From warehouse to UFC Flyweight Champion—Demetrious Johnson aka "Mighty"
Manage episode 323461483 series 3252769
He was working in a warehouse and started fighting as a hobby. His work ethic and discipline made him one of the greatest fighters of all time. Demetrious Johnson a.k.a. Mighty, is the first flyweight champion in UFC history. In 2017, he won ESPY award for Best Fighter. He has 11 successful title defenses, the most in UFC history.
It all started with his mom. She told him that he could either play sports and she’d cover his expenses or work and he’d be responsible for his own costs. He chose to play sports. He was a multi-sport athlete in high school.
Although he feels that college is a useful tool, he feels that it was a waste of time for him. Listen in as he shares his experience with Jonaed.
Connect with Mighty Mouse on:
Want to get in touch with NoDegree?
- Listen to more podcast episodes here
- Follow and/or connect with Jonaed Iqbal on LinkedIn
- Follow NoDegree on LinkedIn, Facebook and Instagram
Remember, no degree? No problem!
- What did he want to be in high school? [00:01:15]
- His thoughts on working [00:03:10]
- How did he get into fighting? [00:07:08]
- Why did he continue working at the beginning of his career? [00:09:30]
- He juggled working fulltime and fighting. [00:11:28]
- His wife is an instrumental part of his success. [00:13:15]
- Why is he detached from the outcome of his fights? [00:18:33]
- Why does he also want to be known as a gamer? [00:23:10]
- How does he stay positive even when he’s being criticized when gaming? [00:24:11]
- Advice for new fighters coming up? [00:30:18]
- Has he ever felt insecure about not going to college? [00:32:30]
The Jordan Harbinger Show
- Apple Podcasts: jordanharbinger.com/itunes
- Spotify: jordanharbinger.com/spotify
- Info about Jordan as a host: jordanharbinger.com/about