Manage episode 377899785 series 3285723
In this podcast episode, Kent share's his personal journey of transitioning to farming, the challenges and rewards of living on a family farm, and the importance of preserving family legacies and expanding habitat for wildlife. Kent also provides expert tips on successful seeding and growing prairie plants for a diverse hunting habitat. These conversations are perfect for those new to land management techniques and looking to gain confidence in their farming and habitat conservation practices.
• He explains the variety of services he provides as a prairie farmer, including consultation work for property improvement.
• Discovering Iowa's hunting opportunities and how it influenced his decision to stay in the state.
• Plans for acquiring surrounding land to expand their farm and pursue their dreams further.
• Trimming expenses and saving money is crucial to keep up with rising land prices.
• Expanding habitat and educating neighbors about its importance is key to creating a thriving ecosystem.
• Effective weed control is necessary before seeding.
• Consider supporting local land management experts to help with seeding and benefit from their expertise.
• Kent shares his personal experience of transitioning from a non-hunting background to becoming an avid hunter on his family's farm.
• The decision to move to Iowa due to state pride and hunting opportunities.
• The challenges of obtaining a hunting license in Iowa as a non-resident.
• Transitioning careers can be challenging, but it can also lead to personal growth and new opportunities.
• Native grasses offer camouflage and attract different wildlife.
• Understanding your equipment limitations is essential for maintaining prairie fields.
• Experts share valuable information and experiences through Hoxie Native Seeds' podcast and YouTube channel.