Manage episode 322829283 series 2874234
Definitive Ranking returns after almost a six-month hiatus to examine the granddaddy of them all: Metroid! We take a look at the original game and try to balance how it holds up today with how it innovated video games 35 years ago and have some fun discussion about the assortment of incredible enemies, the wet-noodle boss fights, the awesome music, the oppressing atmosphere, and the frustrating lack of an in game map.
Come listen and play along! As always, here's the criteria for the Definitive Rankings:
– World / Atmosphere (the vibe, the setting, the mood)
– Art Style (design of Samus, the enemies, the graphics in general)
– Story (what works, what doesn’t)
– Pacing / Progression (are there any parts that really bog the player down, or is it still fun getting lost?)
– Gameplay / “Gimmick” (what new or different gameplay aspects we like)
– Items / Abilities (how are the powerups and are they cool and practical)
– Areas (how does each individual area look, feel, play, etc.)
– Enemies / Bosses (are they fun, creative, etc.)
– Expansions / Powerups (are the expansions hidden throughout the world fun, creative, and enjoyable to collect?)
– Music (are we humming along?)
Of course, all of these are subjective, and we’re putting our critics hats on, but we want to hear what you have to say on Twitter!
Support us on Patreon!
Follow us on Twitter!
Chat with us in Discord!
INTRO SONG – Listen here!
OUTRO SONG – Listen here!