Manage episode 342005844 series 3300818
It’s the Friday news roundup! This week, we dive deep into Banned Books Week, explore the intersection of race and policing in Pittsburgh through film, and celebrate a regional, indigenous delicacy, the pawpaw fruit!
As always, our Friday shows are powered by great local journalism.
- Our own Mallory Falk in WHYY on student organizing against a book ban: https://whyy.org/episodes/schooled-after-the-spotlight-book-ban/
- Emily Rizzo with WHYY on the anatomy of a school book ban: https://whyy.org/episodes/schooled-from-covid-to-censorship-bucks-county/
- Ariana Figueroa in the Pennsylvania Capital-Star on Pennsylvania book bans: https://www.penncapital-star.com/dc-bureau/pa-a-national-leader-as-an-unprecedented-flood-of-book-bans-engulfs-u-s-school-districts/
- The Allegheny Front’s story about the indigenous roots of pawpaws: https://www.alleghenyfront.org/searching-for-the-pawpaws-indigenous-roots/
- Grow Pittsburgh’s Garden Dreams pawpaw tasting: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/pawpaw-parties-at-garden-dreams-tickets-408013508387?aff=ebdssbdestsearch
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices